Spare parts Pipe Lamp

Recently I had to replace the hot water heater in our house. Thankfully it was a slow leak from the bottom so major catastrophe. While I was working on it I kept looking around at the pile of parts I have collected from various plumbing projects.

Hey why not one of those pipe lamps one sees all over the place these days. Why not. I was able to use about 90% of what I had. I had to purchase a length of 1/2″ copper tubing for the arms, 3/4″ to 1/2″ threaded adapter, and the switch for the faucet. I used this Instrucable for the faucet switch.

Even though I am pretty much flying by the seat of my pants on this one, I start off by laying things out to get a general idea of where I am heading.

The threaded parts are put together. There wasn’t a way to tighten them all the way up and be in the right directions. As such I took a spot of super glue to the threads. To date it is holding up well. And as seen in the upper right-hand corner I am dry fitting the sleeved parts before sweating them.

And the legs are together and sweated.

The 90% are added to the ends. I really need to cut short sections of copper pipe for the feet. They need to be raised 1/16″ to have the base at true level. I was tired at the time and didn’t fuss with that part. It will be done before it is put at it resting place.

And here is the base of the lamp.

Switch and lamp next. I am still working out how I want the lamp part to flow, this is turing out to be a bit of a pain for me – it just doesn’t look right yet. Hence no pictures. I have a 45 and 2 90’s, plus a short section of already sleeved pipe to hold the light fixture.

I will update this when it is complete. For now I have other projects to attend to. This one was one that hit me one day replacing a hot water heater at noon and made it this far by 2:30am. The tale will continue.

 

Side Project – MacPi Plus

Raspberry Pi Model 3 into a Mac Plus case 

My Raspberry Pi has been sitting on my bench in a little plastic box. It seems so naked and bare; it needed something to spice things up. And I needed another project on my list, like I am not sure what, but it has ended up on my list.

I have had an old Mac Plus case laying around for years. It has served as a desktop bookcase to recently a collecting bin for cables. The face plate was made into a cheesy, but geeky picture frame. It took some time to clean it up a bit. I didn’t go through all of the trouble to really scrub it down. I like a little of the aged, plastic, patina, look to it, but it does look scads better than it did.

My first goal for this project is to see how much I can use that I have laying around. I have rounded up most of the parts I need.

  • Mac Plus Case
  • Raspberry Pi – bought
  • SainSmart 7″ TFT LCD – bought
  • USB hub, powered
  • SD card slot extender
  • Ethernet cable extender

I am sure I will need some more bits and parts as time wears on, but for now this will get me started.

While working on getting the screen working with the Pi (what a pain, but this will be another post later) I have been laying to how to put things together. The first order of business was the screen. I was trying to find a 4:3 aspect monitor, but didn’t like what I found. I started looking at the Raspberry Pi “compatible” screens. I originally wanted to get the larger 8″ screen, but after measuring a couple of times, I was sure it wouldn’t fit. So I decided on the 7″ screen.

I need a way to mount the screen to the inside of the face plate. What to use? It took me a day or so of rummaging around to find something that seemed appropriate to use. Somewhere in my travels I had a rather large pass-through card, but the right size for holding the screen and with a little Dremel work on the connectors it fits in the face plate.

I took a piece of cardboard and traced the outline of the screen opening on the faceplate. I then added another piece of paper representing the screen to help figure out the placement of it and the screws.

I have to drill the holes in the plate to attach it to the face plate as well as 4 more holes to mount the screen.

 

Well, that is it for now. Check back as I will be updating as I keeping plugging along on this one. Like I said it is a side-project. While not pretty, the bare Pi and VNC work fairly well for the work it currently does, but it deserves a nice Macinficantion.